OnDemand, a service provided by Television New Zealand, has become a cornerstone of New Zealand’s online television viewing and downloading.
Table of Contents
Launched in 2007, it initially offered a selection of 300 videos from 100 television shows. Since then, it has evolved into a platform that caters to a broad audience, providing a wide range of free content, including news updates and programs that have aired on TVNZ channels.
In this guide, we’ll explore how to get started with TVNZ OnDemand, which devices are compatible with the service, and how to set up Chromecast for an enhanced viewing experience.
How To Get Started With TVNZ On-demand?
To embark on your TVNZ OnDemand journey, you’ll need to create an account on their platform. Here’s how to get started:
- Account Creation: The first step is to create your TVNZ OnDemand account. This can be done through their official website. It’s essential to note that TVNZ OnDemand operates as an ad-funded service and is completely free to use and sign up for.
- Registration Process: Registering for an account can be done on a desktop, laptop, or smart device using a web browser. During registration, you’ll receive a verification email from TVNZ. Click on the provided link to verify your account.
- Username and Password: Set a unique username and password for your account. This information will be used to log in when you visit the platform.
- TVNZ OnDemand App: For mobile users, TVNZ OnDemand offers a dedicated app that can be downloaded to your smartphone. The app is available for both Android and iPhone devices, allowing you to watch your favorite shows and stay updated with the latest content on the go.
With your TVNZ OnDemand account created and verified, you can start enjoying a wide array of content, including shows, news, live TV, sports, movies, videos, and much more.
The platform aims to connect with New Zealanders and share moments that matter, offering programming across multiple channels, such as TVNZ 1, TVNZ 2, DUKE, and through their online news brand, 1news.co.nz.
Please note that to access TVNZ OnDemand, you must be a resident of New Zealand.
Which Devices Is TVNZ OnDemand Available?
TVNZ OnDemand is available on the below devices.
Smart TV, Consoles, and TV Apps:
To watch on the big screen, download the TVNZ OnDemand app on the following Smart TVs and devices:
- Samsung Smart TV – Tizen 2015+ models. Note that they support AirPlay to Samsung TV.
- Apple TV – 4th Gen & 4K, iOS 10.2+ OS supported
Android TV – Android OS 5.1+ supported on:
- Sony, TCL, Philips, and Toshiba Smart TVs
- Freeview-approved Android TV devices (SmartVU, SmartVU+, A2 recorder)
- Panasonic Smart TV – 2017+ models
- LG Smart TV – Web OS models 3.3 and above
- Vodafone TV – pre-installed on connected Vodafone TV boxes
- Sony PS4, PS5
- Microsoft Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S.
Smartphones and Tablets:
Download the TVNZ OnDemand app to stream content or cast to your TV to stream on the big screen. Visit the App Store (for iPad or iPhone) or the Play Store (for Android smartphones or tablets).
- iOS Mobile & Tablet – iOS 11+ OS supported
- Android Mobile & Tablet – Android OS 4.4+ supported
- Google Chromecast – iOS 11+ & Android OS 4.4+ supported
Laptop and Desktop:
Watch TVNZ OnDemand on your laptop or desktop computer. TVNZ supports the following browsers:
- Windows PC / Mac OS: Google Chrome – latest version
- Firefox – latest version
- Windows PC: Microsoft Edge – latest version and Internet Explorer – latest version
- Mac OS: Safari – 9.1.3+
Gaming consoles have come a long way, transforming into multimedia hubs. TVNZ OnDemand can be accessed on various gaming consoles, including PlayStation and Xbox. If you’re taking a break from gaming and want to binge-watch your favorite shows, it’s as simple as switching apps.
Streaming devices like Apple TV, Roku, and Google Chromecast can also bring TVNZ OnDemand into your living room. Simply connect these devices to your television, install the app, and stream away. With easy-to-use interfaces and high-quality streaming, it’s like having your very own cinema at home.
Traditional set-top boxes like Freeview and Sky Q have not been left behind. TVNZ OnDemand has integrated its services into these platforms, ensuring you can access OnDemand content through your existing setup. This convenience is perfect for those who prefer to stick to their cable subscriptions while enjoying OnDemand’s diverse content library.
AirPlay and Mirroring:
For those who enjoy a little extra flexibility, AirPlay (for Apple devices) and screen mirroring (for Android) offer a wireless solution. You can easily mirror your smartphone or tablet to a compatible Smart TV or use AirPlay to cast your favorite shows on the big screen.
Make sure your device is connected to the internet and running the latest operating system. For the best experience, always use the latest version of the app.
How To Set up Chromecast To View TVNZ OnDemand?
On your mobile device or tablet, you will need to download the Google Home app. You can do this by searching for this in your App/Play Store.
To set up Chromecast on your mobile device or tablet, follow the steps below:
Playing TVNZ OnDemand via Chromecast:
- First, you need to plug in your Chromecast device. Plug one end of the USB power cable into your Chromecast and the other end into any open HDMI input on your TV. Plug the power supply into an open outlet.
- Now check that the Chromecast and the mobile device, tablet, or Chrome browser you are using to set up Chromecast are both on the same Wi-Fi network.
- Next, turn your TV channel to the HDMI channel that your Chromecast is connected to and follow the instructions on the screen.
- On your device, select the Chromecast icon in the top right corner of the TVNZ OnDemand app, website, or player and connect to the Chromecast.
Interesting Read: How Do I Watch TVNZ OnDemand Live On My SmartTV?
TVNZ OnDemand has established itself as a vital platform for online television viewing and downloading in New Zealand. Launched in 2007, the service has evolved over the years, providing a diverse range of free content, including news updates and programs from TVNZ channels.
With compatibility across a wide range of devices, including smart TVs, consoles, smartphones, tablets, and desktops, TVNZ OnDemand ensures that users can access their favorite content conveniently. The platform’s availability on Google Chromecast enhances the viewing experience by allowing users to cast content to their TV screens.
Whether you’re interested in catching up on TV shows, staying updated with the latest news, or enjoying live TV and sports, TVNZ OnDemand offers a comprehensive solution for New Zealand residents. It’s a prime example of how traditional television content has adapted to the digital age, making it easier than ever for viewers to access and enjoy their preferred programs.
Questions and Answers New Zealand TVOndemand
Here are the most common Q+A NZ for TVonDemand. TVOndemand Q&A New Zealand is available on their website under the help section.
Q1. How do I remove my TVNZ OnDemand Account?
To remove your account, you need to contact the help support team via the Contact form.
Q2. Can I watch TVNZ OnDemand using an HDMI cable?
TVNZ OnDemand does support HDMI cables as most modern Smart Televisions require this feature.
TVNZ OnDemand Digital Rights Management (DRM) blocks non-compliant devices that do not meet the requirements of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).
Q3. How much data does TVNZ OnDemand use?
There’s no way to delete shows or movies from your continue-watching list. As you watch new items your unfinished shows and movies will move further down the list.
The following is how much data TVNZ OnDemand uses when streaming content:
On a Desktop (web) with a DSL connection, 1 hour of video uses 1.85GB of data rate including all ads.
In the Mobile App on iOS with a 3G connection, 1 hour of video uses 1.38GB of data rate including all ads.
In the Mobile App on Android with a 4G connection, 1 hour of video uses 1.75GB of data rate including all ads.
Q4. Can I download and Watch TVNZOndemand shows offline?
Unfortunately, current TVNZ rights agreements do not allow the download of content for offline viewing.
Q5. What is Freeview?
Freeview brings free-to-air digital radio and TV to New Zealand viewers. It is beamed down from a satellite (DTH, Direct to Home) and also, transmitted from hilltops and high points (DTT Digital Terrestrial TV, now known as Freeview HD).
Q6. What devices are TVNZ OnDemand Profiles available on?
TVNZ OnDemand has launched profiles on the web, iOS/Android mobile apps, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S LG, Panasonic, Android TV, Apple TV, Vodafone TV, and newer Samsung TV models.
Note that Profiles are not currently available on Freeview. Find here the latest shows to watch on TVNZ OnDemand New Zealand.