While online casinos are undoubtedly a popular choice for New Zealanders, Offline Casinos in New Zealand offer a distinct and engaging alternative.
These physical establishments provide an opportunity to enjoy pokies tangibly, along with a variety of other entertainment options.
Offline casinos are more than just gaming venues – they are hubs of entertainment. In addition to playing pokies, visitors can savour delicious food, groove to live music and join in on the dance floor.
The diverse offerings of offline casinos create an atmosphere that goes beyond traditional gaming, making them an appealing choice for those seeking a fun and social experience.
Discovering the world of offline casinos in New Zealand opens up a range of options for both gaming enthusiasts and those looking for diverse entertainment.
Whether you’re enticed by the excitement of the games or the lively ambiance, offline casinos in New Zealand provide a unique and memorable experience for locals and tourists alike.
Table of Contents
Top Offline Casinos in New Zealand
New Zealand has a very rich sector of casinos whether it is online or offline. Online casinos are surely the best choice but you can still choose offline casinos which can be much more fun.
The group of top offline casinos in NZ include
- SkyCity Auckland
- SkyCity Hamilton
- SkyCity Queenstown
- SkyCity Wharf Casino
- Christchurch Casino
- Dunedin Casino
Let’s learn about all of these offline casinos in detail.
1. SkyCity Auckland
- Opened in 1996
- Address: Victoria Street &, Federal Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010, New Zealand
- Operating Hours: 24/7
- Pokie Machines: 2,100+
- Table Games: 15+
Since 1996, SkyCity Auckland has been the go-to spot for casino fun in the heart of Auckland’s CBD. Situated at the intersection of Victoria Street and Federal Street, Auckland, the casino has been a hub of entertainment for over two decades.
They’ve got over 2,100 cool pokies machines that guarantee hours of entertainment. Plus, there are more than 100 table games, including classics like Roulette, Blackjack, and Baccarat.
You can enjoy the excitement 24/7 because they never close their doors. Baccarat fans, they’ve got a treat for you! Their Baccarat Room boasts over 20 tables, excellent facilities, and a lively atmosphere. It’s the perfect place to up your Baccarat game.
2. SkyCity Hamilton
- Opened in 2000
- Address: 346 Victoria Street, Hamilton Central, Hamilton 3204, New Zealand
- Operating Hours: 24/7
- Pokie Machines: 300+
- Table Games: 23+
Established in 2000, SkyCity Hamilton offers a charming casino experience in the heart of Hamilton. They’re open 24/7, ensuring you can enjoy the thrill of gaming whenever it suits you.
While not as massive as SkyCity Auckland, their Hamilton establishment still packs a punch with 330+ pokies machines and 23 table games. Whether you’re into poker, blackjack, baccarat, or roulette, they’ve got something for everyone.
Their friendly and accommodating staff create an ideal environment, especially for beginners.
Situated along the Waikato River, their casino offers a beautiful view, reminiscent of their Auckland branch. The 16,000 sq ft space provides an intimate yet exciting gaming experience.
SkyCity Hamilton, part of the SkyCity Entertainment Group, is more than just a casino; it’s a delightful destination for those seeking a cozy yet thrilling gaming experience in Hamilton.
3. SkyCity Queenstown Casino
- Opened in 2000
- Address: Stratton House Level 2/16-24 Beach Street, Queenstown 9300
- Operating Hours: 24/7
- Pokie Machines: 86+
- Table Games: 13+
Established in 2000, SkyCity Queenstown sits at Stratton House Level 2/16-24 Beach Street, Queenstown 9300. Open 24/7, so you can jump into the excitement at any time.
With 86+ pokie machines and 13+ table games, SkyCity Queenstown ensures you never run out of gaming options. Whether you fancy Blackjack, Roulette, Midi-Baccarat, or Caribbean Stud Poker, they’ve got it all.
SkyCity Queenstown Casino isn’t just about gaming; it’s a place of continuous excitement.
Owned by the SkyCity Entertainment Group and licensed by The Gambling Commission. Entrance is for those 20 years old and above with a valid ID.
Note that there is no on-site parking available.
Indulge your taste buds at the Wild Thyme restaurant, offering a delightful dining experience.
4. Christchurch Casino
- Opened in 1994
- Address: 30 Victoria Street, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand
- Operating Hours: Sun-Thu – 12 PM – 12 AM / Friday and Saturday – 12 PM-2 AM
- Pokie Machines: 500+
- Table Games: 30+
Established in 1994, Christchurch Casino, located at 30 Victoria Street, Christchurch Central City, Christchurch 8013, New Zealand, is a hub of entertainment.
With over 500 pokie machines and 30+ table games, including Baccarat, Poker, Blackjack, and Roulette, Christchurch Casino ensures a diverse and enjoyable gaming experience for players of all levels.
- Sun-Thu: 12 PM – 12 AM
- Friday and Saturday: 12 PM – 2 AM
The casino goes beyond traditional offerings with remarkable Poker and Baccarat lounges.
Additionally, it houses the unique Got Game Arena – an e-sports haven featuring four wall-mounted PS4s loaded with a variety of games, all available for free.
Spanning 44,000 square feet, Christchurch Casino is more than just a gaming space. It’s a vibrant destination with an array of restaurants, bars, and game areas.
The casino offers not only popular games like Poker, Roulette, and Blackjack but also various variants to keep the excitement alive.
Christchurch Casino welcomes visitors every day of the week, ensuring that the thrill of gaming is accessible whenever you’re in the mood for entertainment.
5. Dunedin Casino
- Opened in 1999
- Address: 118 High Street, Central Dunedin, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand
- Operating Hours: Open every day from 12 PM
- Pokie Machines: 180+
- Table Games: 7+
Established in 1999, Dunedin Casino, situated at 118 High Street, Central Dunedin, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand, is a unique gem in the casino scene.
Open every day from 12 PM, Dunedin Casino invites visitors to experience the thrill of gaming in a historic setting.
Designed by the Italian architect Louis Boldini in 1883, Dunedin Casino has evolved into one of New Zealand’s finest casinos.
Though relatively small with more than 180 pokies machines and just a handful of table games, Dunedin Casino ensures that the best gaming experiences are on offer.
From Roulette and Blackjack to Caribbean Stud Poker and Baccarat, there’s something for everyone. Electronic gaming machines add to the diverse gaming options.
The casino boasts a spacious bingo room with a seating capacity of 130 people. For those looking to enjoy a delightful meal or refreshing drinks, the Grand Bar and Restaurant, open every day from 12 PM, is the perfect spot.
Benefits of Playing at Land-Based Casinos in NZ
Playing at land-based casinos in New Zealand is a fun and social experience. Here’s why it’s great:
- social Interaction:
- Land-based casinos provide a social environment where players can interact with each other and share the excitement of gaming. It’s an opportunity for a night out with friends or to meet new people who share similar interests.
- Live Atmosphere:
- The ambiance of a physical casino, with its lights, sounds, and energy, creates a unique atmosphere that online platforms may find challenging to replicate. The live environment adds to the overall gaming experience.
- Variety of Games:
- Land-based casinos offer a diverse range of games, including traditional favorites like poker, blackjack, roulette, and pokies machines. Players can explore different variants and enjoy the tactile experience of physical gaming.
- Personalized Service:
- Physical casinos often provide personalized services, with attentive staff catering to the needs of players. Whether it’s assistance with gaming rules or special requests, the personal touch adds to the overall enjoyment.
While online casinos are convenient, land-based ones in New Zealand give you a lively and social gaming time with real people.
Online Casinos Vs Offline Casinos in NZ
Online Casinos and Offline Casinos both are attractive in their respective places. Choosing between online and offline casinos in NZ boils down to personal preference and what brings you the most enjoyment.
|Market Share by (2026)
|Over 3,000 games on average
|500-1,000 games on average
|Instant access from anywhere via desktop, mobile, or tablet
|Limited to a physical location
|Bonuses and Promotions
|Generous welcome bonuses, free spins, reload offers, and loyalty programs
|Limited bonus offerings
|Atmosphere and Interaction
|Developing innovative social features like live chat and virtual reality experiences
|Undeniable thrill of live atmosphere and interaction with fellow players
|Limited physical separation from money and games
|Physical separation acts as a natural cooling-off mechanism
|Responsible Gambling Tools
|Increasingly implementing responsible gambling tools and resources
|Also implementing responsible gambling tools and resources
Responsible Gambling Initiatives
Responsible gambling is a top priority for offline casinos in New Zealand, reflecting their commitment to providing a safe and enjoyable gaming environment.
Here are key initiatives implemented to promote responsible gambling:
- 1. Information and Awareness:
- Prominent Display: Responsible gambling information is prominently displayed within the casino premises, ensuring patrons are aware of support services and guidelines.
- Educational Materials: Brochures and pamphlets containing information on responsible gaming are distributed to visitors, fostering awareness about the potential risks and available resources.
- Media Campaigns: Offline casinos engage in public awareness campaigns through various media channels to reach a wider audience and emphasize responsible gambling practices.
- 2. Trained Staff:
- Smart Training: Casino staff are trained to spot signs of trouble and help out.
- Always Learning: They keep learning about responsible gaming so they can always help you better.
- Friendly Chat: Staff are there to talk and help, making sure everyone has a good time.
- 3. Your Choice to Stop:
- Stop When You Want: You can choose to stop playing anytime you want – it’s your call.
- Easy Exclusion: If you need a break, you can exclude yourself from playing. Casinos make it easy and follow the rules.
- 4. Set Your Limits:
- Decide Your Budget: Casinos suggest setting a budget so you don’t spend too much.
- Your Time, Your Rules: You can set limits on how long you play or how much you spend. The casino helps you stick to your rules.
- 5. Help is Around:
- Talk to Someone: Casinos offer on-site counseling if you need someone to talk to.
- Call for Help: They team up with others to offer hotlines and counseling services for when you need extra support.
- Keep It Private: Your privacy is a big deal – they won’t share your info if you reach out for help.
- 6. Team Effort:
- Working Together: Casinos partner with local groups to keep things safe and fun.
- Tell the Town: They join community programs to spread the word about responsible gambling.
- Sharing Ideas: Casinos learn from others and share what works, making things better for everyone.
- 7. Always Getting Better:
- Check and Change: Casinos regularly check how well things are working and change things up if needed.
- What the Numbers Say: They look at data to see what’s going well and what needs improvement.
- Stay Flexible: Casinos can change their plans to match new info and trends, always trying to make things better.
Offline casinos in New Zealand want everyone to have a good time while keeping things safe.
Whether you’re playing at SkyCity Auckland, SkyCity Hamilton, SkyCity Queenstown, Christchurch Casino, or Dunedin Casino, they care about responsible gambling.
They make sure you know the rules, train their staff to help you and even let you decide when to stop playing.
You can set your own limits, get support if you need it, and work with others to keep things fun and secure.
These casinos are always learning and trying to make things better, so you can enjoy yourself without any worries. It’s about having a great time while making sure everyone plays responsibly.
What’s the legal gambling age in NZ?
You must be 20 years old or older to enter a casino in New Zealand.
Where are the casinos in NZ?
There are six land-based casinos spread across the country, including SkyCity Auckland, SkyCity Hamilton, Dunedin Casino, Christchurch Casino, and SkyCity Queenstown.
What games can I play at NZ casinos?
You’ll find all the classic casino games under one roof, including pokies (slots), blackjack, roulette, poker, baccarat, craps, and other specialty games.
How much money should I bring?
That depends on your budget and how long you plan to play. Set a limit beforehand and remember that gambling should be for fun, not profit.
Do I need to dress up?
While there’s no strict dress code at most NZ casinos, smart casual attire is recommended. Avoid ripped jeans, t-shirts, and sportswear. Some areas may have slightly stricter dress codes, so check the casino’s website beforehand.
What about food and drinks?
Most casinos offer a variety of restaurants and bars to suit different tastes and budgets. Whether you want a quick bite, a fancy meal, or just to relax with a drink while watching the game, they’ve got you covered.
Can I smoke inside the casino?
Smoking is prohibited inside all New Zealand casinos. Designated smoking areas are usually available outside.
How can I gamble responsibly?
Set a budget and stick to it. Take breaks every hour, and don’t chase your losses. If you ever feel like you’re losing control, seek help from casino staff or call the Gambling Helpline on 0800 654 675. Remember, gambling should be for enjoyment, not for financial gain.