In a recent move Air New Zealand has added a new passport scanning and smart passport service to its smartphone app. This will benefit the travellers who show up to the airport with an expired passport. The added functionality means that travellers using the airline’s app can scan their passport and store its information, allowing them to receive automatic notifications when it is time for the passport to be renewed. The scanned document can also be used at check-in.
It is recorded that about 550 of Air New Zealand’s customers per month show up for flights with an expired passport, while about 10 per cent of its customers incorrectly type in passport information during online check-in.
But now with this additional feature in the app effort is made to integrate secure scanning into Airline booking systems.
Air New Zealand App Features
The Air New Zealand app features are
- You can have real-time flight information at your fingertips with up-to-date gate and seat info, boarding and departure times, and more.
- Also now as turn your phone into your ticket. Scan your mobile boarding pass to print checked bag tags at the kiosk, board your aircraft, and if you’re eligible, enter the Air New Zealand lounge.
- With the app now you can hold up to 9 boarding passes for your group or family under the same booking. Bookings with infants cannot currently be supported.
- Also check-in online, from anywhere, and use your boarding pass straight from the app or send it to Apple Wallet.
- Turn on the notifications that remind you of key flight information, and let you know if anything changes
- Also order coffee from your phone and hear the beep when it’s ready to collect.
- Get quick links in to book or change flights on the fly.
- Add flight details to your calendar, and share them with others.
- Know other useful tips as what to pack, with weather notifications for your destination.
- Also track your Airpoints Dollars balance from your phone, and find Airpoints Partners so you can earn while on the ground.
- Get great deals on the go – check out the Best Fares section
- If you need a bag to your next trip then you can pay with a saved card or use another valid card when adding a bag to your eligible domestic flight, straight from the app.
All your biggest stress factor is relived when travelling, so prioritising features that offer genuine benefits and convenience on the go is key. Integrating smartphone camera technology to this app paves the way for adding secure credit card scanning to airline booking system, as well as longer-term developments such as selfie-boarding – using biometrics and facial recognition to verify customers at the gate.
Alongside the passport scanning function, the app can now also allow up to nine boarding passes to be downloaded for groups of travellers, along with offering added baggage purchasing options as said above
Air New Zealand has been on a bit of a push to enhance its tech offerings recently. Back in October last year, it announced it would be adding in-flight wifi to its domestic routes starting later this year, with long-haul services set to follow in 2018.
Meanwhile in May this year, it unveiled its latest research and development project – augmented reality glasses for its cabin crew that would provide real-time information on all passengers.
You can download the app all free from iTunes store in case you own iPhone and from Google play store if you have an Android smartphone. This app requires iOS 8.0 or later compatible iOS device and 4.1 and up for Androids.